KEY LAWS TO KNOW FOR CYCLISTS
Are drivers required to give me a certain distance when passing?
Yes, 3 feet. Violations are punishable by $35 fine.1CA Veh. Code Sec. 21760
Is drunk cycling illegal?
- Bicycles must be equipped with at least a brake which allows operators to execute a wheelskid on dry, level, clean pavement.
- Handlebars must not be higher than the rider’s shoulders.
- Bicycles must be small enough for the rider to stop, support it with one foot on the ground, and restart safely.
- At night bicycles must be equipped with a white headlight or white light attached to the rider and visible from the front.
- Bicycles must also have a rear red reflector and white or yellow pedal reflectors. There must be a white or yellow reflector on the front of the bicycle visible from the side, and a red or white reflector on the rear of the bicycle visible from the side.
- All riders must have a permanent, regular seat. Bicycle passengers under 40 lbs. must have a seat which retains them in place and protects them from moving parts.
Am I allowed to wear earplugs or headphones while cycling?
Yes, but you may not cover BOTH ears.4CVC 27400
Am I allowed to bike on the sidewalk?
In the city of LA, yes, as long as you don’t willfully disregard the safety of others or their property.5LAMC 56.15
Do I have to wear a helmet or make my child wear one?
Do I always have to travel on the right side of the road in the direction of traffic?
References [ + ]