KEY LAWS TO KNOW ABOUT NOISE IN THE LA AREA
What are the general noise restrictions in the LA area?
In the city of LA:
- no person may create or allow to continue any “loud or raucous noise” which “unreasonably interfere[s] with the peace and quiet of other persons.”1LAMC 41.57; see also LAMC 116.01
- no construction work is permitted between the hours of 9pm and 7am (the following day). A person who knowingly and willfully violates this law is guilty of a misdemeanor.2LAMC 41.40
- Power tools may not be louder than 75 decibels.3LAMC 112.05
What specific noisy items are prohibited?
- In the city of LA, gas-powered leaf blowers may not be used within 500 feet of a residence.5LAMC 112.04(C)
- In California, cars may not make noise louder than 95 decibels, and motorcycles may not make noise louder than 80 decibels.6CA Veh Code Sec 27151, 27200-27207
Helicopter noise: You can report helicopter noise in LA County here.
References [ + ]