Immigrant/ Non-Citizen


This page explains how various laws differ for non-citizens. It is not about the process for immigrating into the U.S.; but a great starting point for finding information about this process is the Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

KEY LAWS TO KNOWStatue of Liberty


Unless you are a legal permanent resident (green card), you may not work in the U.S. unless you have an “Employment Authorization Document.”1see CIS page on EAD Employers are required to verify that you are allowed work in the U.S. by having you fill out an I-9 form and show them certain documentation.

Driver Licenses

Beginning January 1, 2015, you will be able to get a driver’s license WITHOUT needing to be legally in the country. But you must still meet all other qualifications for a license and provide proof to the DMV of your identity and that you live in California.2CA Veh. Code Sec 12801.9

Immigration consultant services

If you hire an immigration consultant, you have the right to cancel this agreement/ contract for any reason, as long as you do so within 3 days.3Cal Business & Professions Code 22442(f) If you cancel within the 3 days, you still must pay for any work the consultant has already done, but you don’t need to pay for anything the consultant does after you cancel, and you don’t need to pay a cancellation fee.


You may not own a firearm or any type of gun unless you are a legal permanent resident (with a green card).4U.S. Code Title 18, Section 922(g) Some exceptions:5U.S. Code Title 18, Section 922(y)

  • for hunting purposes
  • official representatives of foreign governments
  • if you get a waiver from the U.S. Attorney General

References   [ + ]