Smoking & Vaping
What you need to know about the laws on smoking cigarettes (and vaping) in California
In general, vaping and e-cigarettes are now regulated the same as regular cigarettes in California.
What is the minimum age to buy cigarettes or other tobacco products?
In California, you must be at least 21 years old to buy any tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, vape juice, etc.
Where is it illegal to smoke/vape in California?
Throughout California, you can’t smoke or vape:
- Inside any bar, restaurant or other enclosed workplace1CA Labor Code Sec 6404.5
- Inside or within 20 feet of any public building, which includes any building owned or occupied by state or local government, such as a public school, college, or other educational institution2CA Govt Code Sec 7597
- In a car when a child is inside3CA Health & Safety Code Sec 118948
- Near a playground4California Health and Safety Code, Section 104495
- In day care facilities5California Health and Safety Code 1596.70-1596.799
Many cities also ban smoking in other locations.
In the city of LA, smoking (e-cigarettes are regulated just like regular cigarettes) is prohibited:
- within within 10 feet of outdoor dining areas and 40 feet of food kiosks, food carts and mobile food trucks.6LAMC 41.50
- farmer’s markets7LAMC 41.50
- elevators8LAMC 41.51
- buses9LAMC 41.52
- parks10LAMC 63.44 B 24
Using e-cigarettes is specifically allowed in vape shops.11LAMC 41.50
Smoking is banned in all L.A. County parks12LA County Municipal Code Sec 17.04.645
In the city of Santa Monica, e-cigs are prohibited:13LA Weekly article on SM e-cig ban
- in outdoor dining areas
- within 20 feet of any building open to the public
- at bus stops
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||CA Labor Code Sec 6404.5|
|2.||↑||CA Govt Code Sec 7597|
|3.||↑||CA Health & Safety Code Sec 118948|
|4.||↑||California Health and Safety Code, Section 104495|
|5.||↑||California Health and Safety Code 1596.70-1596.799|
|6, 7, 11.||↑||LAMC 41.50|
|10.||↑||LAMC 63.44 B 24|
|12.||↑||LA County Municipal Code Sec 17.04.645|
|13.||↑||LA Weekly article on SM e-cig ban|