Rules for Marijuana Businesses
Here’s what you need to know about selling marijuana in the Los Angeles area
Most laws related to selling marijuana are made at the state level. See our Guide to Marijuana Businesses in California.
City of Los Angeles
In the city of Los Angeles, the new rules for cannabis businesses are slightly different from the statewide rules. Businesses must be licensed by both the state and the city of LA.
Where can the shop be located?
- Retail cannabis businesses must be at least 700 feet from “sensitive” sites like schools and parks
- Non-retail and delivery businesses must be at least 600 feet from sensitive sites
- As with liquor establishments, there is a cap on the number of pot shops per neighborhood
Are there any hiring requirements?
- Yes. 30% of the employees of a cannabis business must live within a 3 mile radius; 10% of the employees must be transitional workers
Can consumers use marijuana at the shop after purchasing?
- No. Currently the city of LA does NOT allow on-site consumption, but the City Council is considering changing that
City of Pasadena
In Pasadena, the sale of recreational or medical cannabis is banned completely.1Chapter 8.77 of the Pasadena Municipal Code And cultivating marijuana for commercial purposes is also banned in Pasadena.
City of West Hollywood
The city of West Hollywood now allows cannabis restaurants, cafes, and consumption lounges.