Business Licenses and Registration

Do I Need to Register My Business in Los Angeles?

“Registering” a business can mean several different things. If you operate a business in the Los Angeles, California area, there may be various licenses, permits, registrations, and certifications you need, including:

  • Local business license (aka business tax registration certificate): most cities and counties in California require all local businesses to get a “business license” also sometimes known as a “business tax registration certificate.” See our Guide to Business Licenses in the Los Angeles area.
  • “Incorporating” or registering your entity: If you want to form a business entity such as an LLC or corporation, you will need to register with the California Secretary of State. See our Guide to Business Entities.
  • Seller’s permit: if you are selling any goods, you will need a seller’s permit and collect sales tax
  • Brick and mortar permits: for businesses with a physical location, you may need to get a “zoning” permit to perform your business activities at that location. Again check with your city and county.
  • DBA or “Fictitious Business Name Statement“: if you are doing business as other than your own name or your registered entity’s name. See our Guide to the DBA for more.
  • Registering as an employer: If you have employees, you will need to register with the state. See our Guide to Hiring for Your Business.
  • Tax ID/EIN or Employer Identification Number: this is separate from registering as an employer with the state. You would get an EIN from the IRS, regardless of whether you have employees or not. It is the Tax ID of the business.
  • Registering your professional or business activities: you may also need to register or get a license for your professional or business activities, such as practicing architecture or medicine, working as a building contractor, or much more. See our Guide to Professional Licenses for more.

There may also be various optional certifications you can obtain, such as a “Green Business Certification.”

Further Resources

See our Guide to the Law for Business Owners in Los Angeles

Share the Legal Info With Your Friends: