Guide to Laws about Sex and Sexual Activity in Los Angeles
Most sex-related laws are made at the state level, so be sure to read our Guide to Laws about Sex in California.
If you are a victim of a crime, see our Victims Rights page.
Is it illegal to simply be naked in public?
It’s complicated, and it varies by city.
In the city of Los Angeles, if nothing else, it is often considered “disturbance of the peace”1Penal Code 415 to walk around naked in public. But it could also be considered lewd conduct or indecent exposure (see above). Also, in public parks and beaches, it is explicitly illegal to:
Exercise Your Rights
- If a crime occurred in the city of LA, whether you were the victim or not, you can report it anonymously by
- texting to 274637 and begin your message with the letters LAPD
- calling 800-222-8477 any time, 24/7
- Make sure you know your Victims’ Bill of Rights
- If your privacy has been violated, you can talk to a privacy lawyer
- If you are a victim of harassment at work, you can file a claim at the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, or talk to a lawyer about it.