Freelancer/ Independent Contractor
Guide to Laws for Freelancers in Los Angeles
One issue Los Angeles based freelancers need to know about is the local business license, also known as the business tax registration.
Below are some recommendations to help protect yourself a a freelance worker.
- To protect your rights as a freelancer, you should get a good contract drafted by a lawyer to spell out exactly what the terms are when a client hires you.
- You may want to form an LLC for your freelance work. See more about this and other business related issues at our Guide to Small Business Law.
- Check out Rocket Lawyer1NOTE: Law Soup Media may receive compensation from Rocket Lawyer if you use any of their services., which provides affordable and simple legal services for business & much more. They are currently offering a 7 day FREE TRIAL!
- You may also want to find a good local small business lawyer.
- Get the new book How to Be Free(lance): What Every Self-Employed Person Needs to Know about Law and Taxes
|↑1||NOTE: Law Soup Media may receive compensation from Rocket Lawyer if you use any of their services.|